Monday, October 26, 2009

Exploring Dublin Part I

The first few days of my two week vacation in Dublin was getting my bearings and exploring the city. Socs and I went for a quick and dirty walk of the city enter and the major streets that I would be walking for the rest of my days in Dublin.


I saw the usual Dublin highlights such as the Spire of Dublin (aka The Stiletto in the Ghetto aka The Nail in the Pale aka The Pin in the Bin aka The Stiffy at the Liffey aka The Erection in the Intersection aka The Rod to God, etc) and Molly Malone statue (aka The Tart with the Cart aka The Dolly with the Trolley aka The Trollop with the Scallop aka The Dish with the Fish aka The Flirt in the Skirt). Dubliners tend to have cool nicknames for such things.

I was finally able to try the infamous Nando's chicken that I've heard so much about, and might I say it was pretty good. In fact I was able to sample quite a few of the restaurants I've been hearing about and none have failed me.

One of the more touristy things we did was visit the Old Jameson (pronounced "Jemeson") Distillery. I was not really a fan of whiskey (or hard drinks for that matter) but after taking a sip of Jameson Irish Whiskey (and one with cranberry juice) I seemed to take a liking to Jameson Whiskey in particular. According to the tour guide, Jameson is arguably the best whiskey and I'm not one to argue.

On one very nice Irish day (the sun was actually out), Socs and I went on the Liffey River Tour which basically ran up and down the Liffey River, which is the lifeblood of Dublin. This gave me a chance to know more about the city and find out interesting places to see and visit during my stay.

0 comments: