Saturday, February 25, 2006

walkin' by

With nothing to do this lazy Saturday afternoon, I decided to head to Ledras Street hoping to find inspiration to keep my mind pre-occupied for the rest of the day. As I walked down the old road lined with shops of all kinds, my mind was debating on either getting some ice cream or lounging at a coffee shop with a good cup of brew. Before I got to the merits of my options, I noticed a couple of haggard looking guys on the side of the road looking as if they where deciding where to go. I noticed one of them was carrying a guitar and I figured they where one of the street performers working for some change (its an image I can easily associate with Europe, don't ask why). Being troubled with my own thoughts, I slightly avoided the two and went on my merry way.

Finally deciding on having a frappuccino, I went to find a nice spot outside the coffee shop. As I settled on my chair, I heard some music coming from across the street... and it was the two haggard looking guys playing! And they were pretty good too, despite them looking like they haven't had a bath since God-knows-when and always wears the same clothes every single day. They where unkept, unshaven and had long bands of dreads.

They didn't look Greek to me, so I figured they may be some kind of backpackers or something. I didn't understand what they were singing either, but they sang it effortlessly yet passionately I could help but watch and listen. It seemed that they really felt what they where playing, I could see it in their body language and the tone of their voice. The song felt bitter-sweet to my ears, like they were singing about something beautiful yet fleeting, realizing something wonderful when its gone and all that ironic stuff.

rock n' roll boys... rock n' roll...

2 comments:

socs said...

you chose frapuccino over ice cream?!?

bored ka na nga :p

vistan said...

i chose frappuccino because it's coffe with ice and whipped cream... so it's like having coffee AND ice cream hehehe

w/c was a mistake by the way... ang lamig e hehehe