Wednesday, February 08, 2006

warmth


I initially wanted to write this entry in prose, or some style other than the narrative. But alas, the creative part of my brain does not work...

Another weekend, another road trip... but this time the road went up and up. Socs and I headed right smack to the middle of Cyprus, the Troodos Mountains. We were actually targeting the village (or town or whatever) of Pano Platres to experience the traditional Cypriot way of life. But in order to get there, we had to go up one of the mountains before going back down to Platres. It wouldn't have been a big thing... if only the car rental company didn't give us a piece of shit car.

We were expecting another Renault Clio, which have been good to us in our last 2 trips, but instead we got a lousy Daihatsu something. We were trudging along the mountain road for most of the trip, but she held up and we finally got to the peak.


On the way there, I just had to stop at one of the picnic areas to get my first encounter with snow. I was so excited, I must have looked like a pathetic little kid with the wide grin on my face. I created my first snowball, throw it at something (I couldn't hit Socs with it otherwise I wouldn't have nice pictures hehehe) and actually hit it hehehe


Upon reaching Platres, we did some exploring and found a nature trail to some waterfall. It kind of reminded me of the jungle environment survival training (JEST) some friends and officemates did last year, who incidentally are back in the jungles of Subic. We on the other hand are up in the mountains on MEST (mountain environment survival training) hehehe.


We never got to the falls though, despite it being just around a kilometer away. The sun was going down soon and it started getting colder, plus I was getting hungry hehehe. Dinner was ok, traditional Cypriot meal (pic here) but I was freezing! Good thing I bought a leather jacket the previous week (hehehe, I just had to put that in) to keep me warm otherwise I would've been part of the landscape of Troodos.


We stopped by Kakopetria on the way back where we had lunch and to experience more of the traditional way of life. All we saw though, was a big-ass rock and small-ass streets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

iam!!! si allan naka flaunt yung butt niya! hahaha
tiganan mo pic -> http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2669/462/1600/IMG_2423.jpghttp://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2669/462/1600/IMG_2423.jpg

socs said...

nasan na yung pic ko with The Big Ass Rock of Kakkopetria? :(

Anonymous said...

cool! leather jacket, eh? and nice usage of 'ass' by the way. pun intended.