Wednesday, October 19, 2005

veteran

My grandfather died last night.

He was the only grandfather I ever knew (both my dad’s parents died before I was born I never got to meet them), yet I don’t really know much about him as a person. We have shared a few words whenever I visit them in the province or they drop by Manila for a few days. I know he was a veteran of the Second World War and he knows that I am fascinated with the military and guns so we do have something in common to talk about.

He has taken me to some live firing exercises, shot a few rounds together and talked about gun safety, responsible gun ownership and shared a few shooting advices. My brother even showed him a few of the airsoft guns we use.

I haven’t asked him much about the war and his involvement in it. I believe it is a bit inappropriate to ask if he has any confirmed kills even if, or maybe especially because he was a soldier (or freedom fighter?). Although in some of his stories you could read between the lines, but I didn’t want to push it out of respect.

That’s it though… may he rest in peace.

3 comments:

Elkath said...

hey, condolences.

my grampa was a veteran too. which is where i think i got my 'guerilla' blood. he's my hero. :)

Topeng said...

my condolences...

vistan said...

salamat, salamat