Friday, February 27, 2009

Daily commute

My day started out a little weird. I was planning on bringing my sister's car to work (she's on a vacation in Hong Kong) and I knew it was coding day for it. Unfortunately I completely forgot that coding period is from 7am to 7pm. I got out of bed around 7:20am.

So I got my gear together and prepared to commute to work. After two uneventful jeepney rides later, I was at Quezon Avenue MRT station. Luckily there was no line to get in the station and I got past the turnstiles fairly quickly. There was a growing number of people on the platform waiting for the trains, but that was ok for me.

Two trains passed and I figured I would probably be able to get in within a couple more trains. Suddenly, I heard a thump and there was a bit of commotion off to my right. Apparently someone fell of the platform.

I figured, no biggie, he's just going to hop back onto the platform feeling stupid that he fell or something. However the atmosphere was different. People started peeling back, and reactions started coming out. It felt a little more serious.... and a train was coming in as well. People started waiving for the guard, and the train to stop. Next thing I saw was a man all bloodied being helped up by the guard. A group of men pulled him up the platform and I could see a pool of blood starting to form. The guy seemed ok though, he was moving but feeling a little dazed I guess.

From what little I could see and the reaction of people near him, there didn't seem to be major visible damage. No broken bones, no major cuts (a head cut can bleed profusely without being a danger as there are simply a lot of small blood vessels there.... learned that from UFC hehehe).

I was actually contemplating on whether I should help. I figured the best way I could at that moment was to give room to those that might be able to help (I do notice some nursing students riding the train from time to time). I do not have any official medical training, but I believe I have enough common sense in some medical emergencies. So no help from me, I had to catch the train to go to work and blog about it all heheh

0 comments: