Wednesday, February 04, 2009

language barrier

Ever since I started blogging, I have used the English language to convey my thoughts, opinions and whatnots. I do insert some Tagalog words every so often to relay the actual words used, or if I feel strongly about the use of the word.

Recently through a conversation with Ge, I realized that Tagalog language usually conveys more emotion or character to the message being conveyed. To contextualize, I was considering going to Thailand and train Muay Thai for a period of time (maybe a month). It just so happened Ge has a friend who did the exact same thing and gave some advice, one of which was to prepare my cardiovascular endurance since, his words, dudurugin ka dun.

Wow. Compare that to the English counterpart "they will crush you", the Tagalog word gives much more oomph so to speak. I apologize for the non-Filipinos who might be reading this (not sure if there are though), but I can't quite explain the difference between the two. They both mean the same, but for some reason the Tagalog version scares me more.

Kind of reminds me during my college philosophy days. Somehow I enjoyed philosophy more when it was taught in Tagalog rather than English. Perhaps because it is a lot closer to me personally, and that I can relate to the words and terminologies used. Makes me realize the romantic characteristics of my mother tongue.

So will I make the switch? Probably not... I probably could have when I was back in college (remembering my philosophy style of writing), but now I seemed to have lost that capability of writing beautifully in Tagalog. Now, it would take a bit more effort on my end to craft my sentences and choose my words that I might end up not creating blog entries at all.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

"they will crush you" is considered slang in english. I cant imagine anyone using that term except in cheesy budget movie scripts or possibly those showboat wrestling shows (which are pretty lowbrow to start with).