Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pet gym peeve #1

I know I may not be the most fit person in the world and that I am by no means a fitness guru, but there are somethings that irritates me whenever I go to the gym.

One thing that really throws me off are some of the "cool" people attending the group exercise Body Combat. I have nothing against the workout routine, in fact I kind of admire it as they are trying to get some of the benefits of martial arts into a fitness routine, but how it has become commercialized.

I see people attending the class wearing hand wraps for no particular reason. I mean, yes it is a "martial arts class" and hand wraps are martial arts gear, but come on. You don't need hand wraps unless you are punching a bag or a mitt. Hand wraps are supposed to protect a fighter's hand from dislocations or fractures and to provide additional cushioning on the knuckles. It does nothing if you simply punch air for an hour and then head home feeling all "cool".

What ticks me off more is they think they get some sort of benefit from wearing them. Oh well, to each his own I guess.

0 comments: