Friday, December 05, 2008

Post Pulag Post

First things first, I have to say a big thank you to Encircle Mountaineering Club and my new found mountaineering friends for sharing the experience of Mt. Pulag. Now on to my post...

How to get to Mt. Pulag - Ambangeg Trail (a rough itenerary)
1. Take a Victory Liner bus from Cubao to Baguio
2. Hire a jeep to take you to the DENR visitor center for registration/orientation (might be best to arrange the jeep hire beforehand and call the DENR center informing you of your arrival)
3. Take the same jeep to the Ranger Station jump off point
4. Hike up the mountain
5. Go down the mountain
6. Make sure you asked the jeep to take you back to Baguio
7. But probably stop over the DENR center first for some freshening up and chow
8. Take the Victory Liner bus back to Manila (you may be waiting for a few hours in Baguio though, depending on the time of year)

So, with that in mind... can anyone climb Mt. Pulag? I would say yes. I may be a reasonably fit person, but I have minimal cardiovascular endurance and definitely not a mountaineer (even though I have climbed a few mountains in my life). Here's my quick guide on how to survive Mt. Pulag:

1. Organize yourselves. I do not believe in a single leader in any expedition, but you can have an organizer with a couple of team leaders. That should help distribute the effort, especially for non-hardcore climbers. Things such as transportation, food and personnel issues fall into their area of responsibility.

2. Get enough rest. Sleep as much as you can during the trip. In the bus, in the jeep, after breakfast, after lunch. That is why sharing responsibilities helps.

3. Get enough energy. Forget the diets, you need energy to climb the second highest peak in the country. Eat lots of carbs. I swear by Ricoa flat tops, jellyace, beef jerky and peanut butter sandwiches for trail food and power food.

4. Climb the mountain at you own pace. This makes the climb easier and a lot more fun.

5. Bring the correct gear. A good bag is in order to carry all your stuff. Local mountaineering bags are pretty cheap anyway. Bring clothes that will help you with the cold. Bring a good tent, trust me you do not want to spend the night soaking wet in any mountain. An earthpad is a must.

6. Make sure someone brings a decent cookset. You will want some comfort food once your up in the mountain and in the cold.

7. Prepare for the climb. Yes it is easy, but all the preparation helps (I did the Men's Health Urbanathlon and jogged a few times).

8. I suggest climbing it in the summer months. I know Boracay or Palawan is beckoning but this should definitely be one for the books (and its cheaper :P). Going in summer brings up the temperature a bit and the chance for you to enjoy the views the mountain has to offer.

That's it I guess. Again thank you to my new found mountaineer friends and hope to see you guys again next time! I enjoyed climbing Mt. Pulag and will definitely go back given the opportunity.

0 comments: