Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Mt. Pulag climbed! part 2

Unfortunately it was starting to drizzle even before we got started, and a few hundred meters into the hike I was already feeling my heart beat faster and some strain in my legs. I was screwed. I started thinking about how the altitude might affect me, all the travel just to get to the jump off point and the weather. Somehow I managed to keep going without being a complete wuss, I simply willed my heart to slow down a bit, kept the slight cold at bay and enjoy the limited view somehow. It was different from all the other climbs with the pine trees and all.


After that scenic part of the hike, we proceeded to get into the actual forested trail. It was pretty nice and reminded me somewhat of the Mt. Mansfield trail in Vermont. It was a bit rocky (and muddy), with lots of moss on the rocks and trees. It was colder here though, but it might probably be due to the rain (Mt. Mansfield does get covered in snow during the winter though).

In any case, I trudged along with the group for a while and somehow lost Benny, Trinka, Katja, Verchie and Narod as we really did not go as a group. I somewhat ended up alone with the rest stops we took. I actually liked it better that way, I was able to walk at my own pace, have stops as often and as long as I wanted. It was a lot more serene for me, and I enjoyed the hike a whole lot more. It was a bit daunting at one point as the trail seemed to be going down when I should've been going up. I was starting to wonder if I should start reversing all my clothes hehehe. I later found out that there was another girl who was also alone and thinking the same thing!


I knew there where people in front and behind me so it's either I will catch up with someone (highly unlikely) or someone will catch up with me. But I was starting to think about the possibility of being alone in the cold, rainy mountain trail. Survival mode! Luckily there was only one trail, and a few people decided to rest at the only junction.

I was getting really hungry at this point but luckily I had some Safari chocolate bars and beef jerky on hand. These things, especially the beef jerky, are really helpful in situations like this. But I knew I wouldn't last longer and I had to get a decent meal of sorts. Fortunately the lead group stopped on Camp 2, just before the start of the Grasslands of Mt. Pulag. There I found Benny and our stash of peanut butter sandwiches. I tell you, peanut butter sandwiches and beef jerky are lifesavers!

It was getting pretty cold up there, I was hungry and a little tired. The initial plan was to camp at Camp 3, however the weather was catching up on us and it was decided to camp right then and there. It was a good thing too, as it started raining just as we finished setting up our tents.

... to be continued again ...

0 comments: