Tuesday, March 14, 2006

dawn of a new day

Written by a sleepless guy at over 30,000 feet above sea level, doing 1,000 km/h... just past the Arabian sea.

I saw my first glimpse of sunrise today… whatever day it is, given the complexities of international travel. The imagery I saw seems befitting what I feel, a streak of soft orange light emerging from the darkness. Dark grays slowly receding from the warmth of the sun.

I can’t seem to remember the last time I have seen and appreciated the sunrise. I usually sleep past it or too groggy to care. But now, despite not having slept in 18 hours I am pondering what lies beyond the horizon. I am captivated by the realization that we are heading straight into the point of sunrise as if trying to reach it but in fact, the final destination is beyond it. Past the horizon, past plains and mountains and the endless sea… to a place where location does not really matter.

Nearly everyone else on the plane is off to dreamland trying to reduce the stress this 8-hour flight will inflict. While I revel on dreams of my own, and damn the jet-lag that may ensue. Even though I will be arriving home just as the sun sets, I feel that my day will just about to start then.

0 comments: