Monday, August 04, 2008

summited

August 2, 2008 2:47pm local time (-5 GMT) 4,393 ft. (1339 m) above mean sea level, summited Mt. Mansfield.

I finally did it! Although I was delayed by a week, I have conquered the highest peak in Vermont. Estimated ascent/descent time was 4 hours which was pretty decent. We (I came with an officemate) were hauling ass pretty much the entire way, either because of the weather (60% chance of thunderstorms) or we were just pushing each other. We both tried to summit Mt Mansfield on separate occassions and got to pretty much the same place. And I believe if neither one of us was with each other, we would probably have turned back sometime during the climb.


not the trail we took, but some profanity was spoken


In any case, we pushed on and reached the top. The mountain looked pretty amazing above the tree line despite clouds obscuring much of the view. The landscape looked like the Shire, for a lack of a better description. Mostly rocks, small trees, and some sort of moss. And as I have researched previously, parts of it was alpine tundra and we where requested not to veer off the trail to avoid destroying the sensitive flora.

After a few minutes resting and taking a few snapshots, we headed back down. And not a moment too soon, as the clouds started rolling in and a few drops of rain started to fall. Just before we got to the tree line it was pretty much pouring. Good thing I bought a (pretty good, I might add) rain jacket a week before. It was a bit treacherous going down a rocky mountain in the rain, but we managed quite well. There was a few slips and slides, but nothing major. Surprisingly, my knee didn't bother me until we were near the end of the trail.

I did wish I could have taken more pictures, or stayed longer at the top. But I did what I came to do and that was it.


next summit please!

0 comments: