Friday, July 25, 2008

the geek in me

As mentioned in my previous blog entry, I was in Houston TX last week with Manny. It was a side trip from our Austin kick-off meeting, and as luck would have it Manny had a friend in Houston so we had a place to crash into.

Speaking of crashes, one of the few things did in Houston was visit the Space Center (space shuttle... spaceships... crash landing? get it? sorry corny moment). Anyway, it was a lot of fun and I was a bit surprised that I was very interested in some of the things that NASA does, how they do it and why. I always thought I knew a bit about space exploration and the space program from the media (TV, internet, etc), but visiting NASA was a real eye-opener.

I realized what a daunting task space exploration really was, and seeing the actual items used during the early days made all of what I already knew more real.... and more personal. Seeing the training facility was cool, and I could just imagine what actually goes on the other side of the glass. It was pretty neat to touch a piece of the moon, the actual Apollo modules that brought people back safely to Earth. I just couldn't fathom what extremes those "things" went through before ending up to right where I was standing. And I just found out that they do plan to go back to the moon for further exploration and I understood why (economical and scientific reasons).

Our last tour (and I was glad we took it as the last tour) was to Mission Control. This unassuming guy gave us a brief description of what goes on in Mission Control and a few personal notes on what it feels like to work in NASA. It was a priviledge to know that he was actually one of the guys who trains astronauts that go into space, and that he knew a couple of the guys who died in the shuttle disaster pretty well.

That kind of tied everything together for me. They had 4 badges on one side of the room that would never make it to the successful missions wall of the room. Because for them, they failed in not bringing those people back. Because they made a mistake. They didn't care about how much it cost to run the space program, or how expensive the shuttle that just blew up... it was about the people. Because at the end of the day, despite all the technology and the accomplishments and tragedies it still goes down to the human person. Humanity without the boundaries of sex, religion or ethnicity. Space exploration raises the simplest yet greatest philosophical question of life.. personally and in the grand scheme of the universe, who are we and why we are here?

0 comments: