Thursday, May 05, 2005

Easy as connecting the dots...

A couple of days ago, I went with my mom to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) to have my NBI clearance authenticated for an upcoming business trip (a further blog entry should explain this in detail).

I was a bit late in getting this done, as I had my NBI clearance renewed last April 20 but I figured "How hard would it be to get this single piece of paper validated?". I had, after all, renewed the NBI clearance in about 15 mins via their kiosk. I was giving myself a good 4 hours to get this seemingly easy task accomplished.

Oh, how wrong was I.

When we got there around 7am there was a considerable line outside DFA. I though it to be normal and readied myself. We asked the guard at the gate first just to be sure we were following the right line. He confirmed that it was the line to get my document authenticated.. but first we had to get it authenticated at the Malacañang Palace.

Go figure. To get an NBI clearance authenticated at DFA, you first have to get it authenticated at the Malacañang Palace!

It took me 4 hours alright...to get the document into the receiving window of the authentication office at Malacañang. And it was due for release the afternoon of the following day.

I was able to proceed to DFA early this morning, started falling in line at around 6am and finished around 8:30am. Better that what happened in Malacañang... but this time I have to wait for it to be released on Tuesday next week!

All this for authenticating a lousy piece of paper that says I am not a criminal. Sheesh!

0 comments: