Saturday, June 28, 2008

standby rescue operations

I will go hiking tomorrow... or at least try to. The destination: the highest peak in Vermont Mt. Mansfield. It has a good view of the Champlain Valley and a glimpse of the Adirondacks on a good day. It also has a nice geological feature called Cantilever rock. I got my stuff ready, a good supply of water, trail mix, energy bars and drinks.

My only concern is the mountain itself. Vermont isn't called the Green Mountain State for nothing, and the fact that I will be climbing the highest peak is a little daunting. Mt. Mansfield is 1339 m above sea level (Gulugod Baboy, which I've summited a couple of times is only 470m above sea level), I have no guide, no cellphone and limited gear (as I never intended to climb a mountain while I am here).

Although I will be starting my climb halfway up the mountain from the ranger station, it is still a little higher than what I have climbed before (Mt Maculot or Mt Manabo, I forgot). And considering the latitude of the state, the weather and temperature is a factor. And although the trail is marked (I hope), I will be going at it alone.

So... if you do not see me online in the next couple of days, call the rescue troops in.

2 comments:

socs said...

Bakit nga ba Green Mountain state? Dahil sa Mt Mansfield?

vistan said...

kasi color green yung state hehehe. sobrang green with all the mountains and vegetation. etymology ng Vermont is Verde Monte or Green Mountain :P