Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Habemus Papam

I was awake late last night after eating dinner and patching up my ghillie veil for an upcoming game trying to find something worthwhile to watch when I chanced upon a local channel showing a chimney billowing smoke.

Normally I wouldn't even stop and bother with the local channel, more so a local news program, but somehow I paused for just the right amount of time for the images to register a thought.

Why are they showing images of smoke? From a chimney....that looks like the one in the Vatican... which signifies whether or not a new pope has been chosen... have they finished voting already? Us it white smoke? Yes it is! Could this be history in the making?

Yep it was white... and it was from the Vatican, but I imagined more smoke (dunno why). I stayed tuned to the live feed, awaiting confirmaion that a pope has indeed been chosen. It was somewhat unceremonious... no announcements (yet), no formal indication of what was being hoped for. Then the bells rang.

A new pope has indeed been chosen.

I wasn't able to know the name of the new leader for the entire Christian community that night, the commentators where saying it could be some time before the new pope emerges to meet the people in St. Peter's Square.

I had to sleep. A new day was looming, not just for me... but for the entire world too. All that was important was that we have a pope. Habemus Papam!

0 comments: