Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Exploring Dublin Part II

With Socs off to work, I was left to explore Dublin on my own. It's always a little unnerving to go about a new city alone as even crossing the street poses unique challenges. Luckily Dublin city authorities helped out on that regard.


So I set off to see more of "newer" parts of Dublin first and explore that area. It is actually an older part of Dublin that used to be more of a docklands/warehouse area but is now the up and coming place where more modern apartments are being built up and the development of their financial district.

Armed with the knowledge I gathered from the River Liffey Tour, I went back and took a closer look at some of the attractions along the river. Walking along the North side, I saw a couple of nice bridges, the James Joyce Bridge which bounced up and down from the pedestrians walking over it and the new (and unfinished) Samuel Becket Bridge which is reminiscent of a harp, an icon for anything Irish (see the Guinness beer, their coat of arms etc)

And since the River Liffey was the lifeblood of Dublin, it also showcased a replica of Jeanie Johnston (a really old boat) that offers sailing training trips, which is something to look forward to if and when I relocate.

And then there was the Famine Statues, sometime in Dublin's history there was a great Famine and is constantly reminded by memorials such as this.

A quick walk back to the apartment made me pass by the Court House and a few more bridges before I got to the familiar city center.

0 comments: